Lurgan Coat of Arms The Armagh Guardian

8 June, 1858  


The Commissioners for Lurgan under the “Towns Improvement (Ireland) Act 1854” have just published their third annual report to the ratepayers. It is an important document and is clearly indicative of the spirit of improvement which animates the lord of the manor (Lord Lurgan) and the leading inhabitants of the town.

The present means of water supply, having long been felt as inadequate to the requirements of this population, the present report contains a lengthened statement from James Thompson Esq, C.E. Professor of Engineering at Queen's College, Belfast, in which two schemes for supplying this want are very fully discussed. Of course it will be some time ere a scheme of such magnitude can be carried out, but it is well to have it “ventilated and considered”. The increase of the population of the town appears from the following table drawn by Mr. Hancock:-

  1831 1841 1851 1856
Houses Occupied 626 670 658 975
Houses Vacant 23 52 37 28
Houses Building 17 6 6 16
Total of Houses 666 728 701 1,019
Population 3,760 4,677 4,851 -

From this table the present population of the town may reasonably be presumed to be between 6,000 and 7,000.


The information on this website is free and will always be so. However, there are many documents and records that we would like to show here that are only available for sale. If you would like to make a donation to the Lurgan Ancestry project, however small (or large!), to enable us to acquire these records, it would be very much appreciated. We could cover our pages in Goggle Ads to raise money, but feel that this would detract from the information we are trying to provide. You can also help us to raise money by purchasing some of our ebooks on our sister website:

The Lurgan Ancestry Project is a not for profit website, all monies raised from the site go back into it.

View our Sitemap Site Map

Home  |   Census |  Griffiths  | Directories  | Gravestones |  Photos  |  Links  | Forum |  History  | Contact Us