image
St. John's RC Church, Lylo.

Drumnacanvy Road
Lylo
Portadown

St. John's R. C. Church, Lylo

In 1814, a small rectangular, white-washed church was erected on the site of the present edifice by the Rev. Hugh MacConville, P.P. and at a cost of 350 - a considerable sum in those days. The little building measured 40 feet in length and 25 feet in width. The ground for this church and cemetery was given by Mr. William Robinson, a Protestant gentleman, who owned the townlands of Lylo and Levaghery. The deed of transfer was finally executed on February 11th. 1822, at the instance of the Rev. M.J. MacCartan, P.P. This document states that the site, described as half-an-acre of ground `on which a Roman Catholic Chapel has lately been built in the townland of Lylo,' was given for the nominal sum of five shillings `and a pepper-corn in the year, if demanded.' The burial-ground was further extended in 1856.

The present Church was erected by the Very Rev. L.L. Morgan, RP., in 1869. The magnificent marble altar was purchased by Archdeacon MacCartan in 1916, and consecrated by Most Rev. Dr. Mulhern, Bishop of Dromore. The Church and cemetery were transferred to the Parish of Moyraverty (Craigavon) on November 3rd, 1971.

 

Records
Started
Baptisms
Unknown
Marriages
Unknown
Burials
Unknown








View our Sitemap Site Map
image


image
Home  |   Census |  Griffiths  | Directories  | Gravestones |  Photos  |  Links  | Forum |  History  | Contact Us