Slaters Royal National Directory of Ireland
1894 Page 2

Lurgan 1894



Moira (or Saint Inns of Moira), anciently called MOIRATH, is a town and a parish, in the barony of Lower Iveagh, Co. Down, head of a petty sessional division, and also of a dispensary district, in Lurgan Union, Protestant and Catholic diocese of Dromore, with a station on the Great Northern Railway, about 5 miles north-east from Lurgan, on the road from Belfast to Armagh. The town, though small, is well-built, and consists of one long and spacious street, containing the Court House, a large building, in which petty session are held. This was formerly part of the parish of Magheralin, and was made a distinct parish about 1725, shortly after which the church was erected at the joint expense of Sir John Rawdon and the Earl of Hillsborough; it is a gothic edifice with a square tower, surmounted by a spire, and from its situation above the town forms a conspicuous object. There are also places of worship for Presbyterians, Methodists and Unitarians. Moira gave the title of earl in the peerage of Ireland to the noble family of Campbell-Radon-Hastings. Sir John Rawdon was created Baron Rawdon in 1750, and advanced to the dignity of Earl Moira in 1761. His son Francis, who succeeded to his titles in 1793, is well known to history, both as a soldier and a statesman in the reigns of George III. and George IV., Governor-General and Commander-in-Chief of India 1813-23, and raised to the rank of Marquess of Hastings 1816, who was victorious in the Ghoorka (1816) and Mahrattas (1817-18), thus establishing the English power in India. The marquisate of Hastings and the earldom of Moira both became extinct on the death of the 4th marquess, Nov. 10th, 1868. Fairs the first Thursday in February, May, August and November. The area of the town comprises 30 acres; parish, 6,092 acres. The population of the town in 1891 was 414; parish 2,002.  

POST, MONEY ORDER & TELEGRAPH OFFICE & SAVINGS BANK (Railway Sub-Office. Letters should have R.S.O. Co. Down added) – Jane Watson, Postmistress.
Deliveries, 7.45 & 9.30 a.m. & 4.45 p.m. ; Dispatches, 8.40 a.m. & 3.50 & 7.5 p.m.

Disepnsary Medical Officer & Registrar – Thomas H. Brownrigg (L.R.C.P.Edin, L.R.C.S.Edin) 

Petty Sessions held last Wednesday in every month; Arthur Stanfield – Clerk.

Constabulary Station, James Maguire – Sergeant.

CHURCH OF IRELAND – Rev. John Knox Barklie, Rector.

PRESBYTERIAN – Rev. Samuel Graham.



Railway Station, Charles McCartney – Station Master.


  Private Residents 
Barklie Rev. John Knox – The Rectory 
Bateman  Isaac – The Forest 
Brownrigg  Thomas Henry – Fairmount House 
Crawford  Joseph – Lirganville 
Douie  James Livingston (J.P.) 
Elliott  Rev. John 
Graham  Rev. Samuel 
Green  Isaac – Bottear 
Greer  James Benjamin – Drumbane 
Langtry  Frederick – Fort William 
McPolind  Rev. Owen 
Quail  Rev. John 
Turner  James – Magherahinch 
Warng  Lucas – Waringfield 
Wetherall  Rev. 
Wilson  Mrs. Sarah Berwick Hall 
Bell  Abraham – Blacksmith 
Boan  Selina – Dressmaker &c. 
Brownrigg  Thomas H. (M.D.) – Surgeon 
Campbell & Co.  Grocers & Hardware &c. 
Chen  Samuel W. – Coal Merchant
Clarke  William – Spirit Distiller & Funeral Undertaker 
Cooke   Edward – Grocer 
Cousins  Joseph – Grocer & Spirit Dealer 
Douie  James Livngston (J.P.) – Agent for Lord Deramore 
Foote  William – Boot Maker 
Hendry  Margaret – Dress Maker &c. 
Hewitt  John – Seed &c. Merchant & Nurseryman  
Hull  John – Lime Burner 
Hull  William James – Carpenter – Maghabeny 
Irwin  Joseph Henry – Grocer 
Law  James – Tailor 
McClure  John – Boot Maker 
McClure  Mark S. W. – Grocer 
McDowell  Robert – Grocer & Timber & Coal Merchant 
McGeoun  Jane – Dress Maker &c. 
Reynolds  George – Tailor 
Ruddell  Thomas – Bateson’s Arms P.H. & Butcher  
Ruddell  Thomas – Grocer 
Spence  Marcus James – Lime Burner 
Stewart  James – Carpenter 
Turkington  Samuel – Blacksmith 
Walker  Francis – Blacksmith – Trummery 
Allen  Edward 
Archer  Joseph 
Bateman  Henry 
Bateman  Isaac 
Bateman  Swift 
Bateman  William 
Beatty  Thomas 
Beckett  William 
Berry  James 
Boyle  Henry 
Boyle  John 
Brereton  William 
Brown  James 
Brown  William 
Bunton  John 
Cantley  John 
Catherwood  Elizabeth 
Dillon  James 
Dillon  William J. 
Donie  James L. 
Ellis  Jane 
Gray  John 
Green  Alfred 
Grier  James Benjamin 
Hammond  George 
Hammond  James 
Heron  Thomas 
Heron  William 
Heron  William Thomas 
Hewett  William 
Kennedy  Thomas 
Kerr  John 
Kerr  William George 
Langtry  Frederick 
Lavery  John 
Lilburn  James 
Lilburn  Robert 
Lilburn  William 
Logan  James 
Logan  John 
Logan   Mary 
Lynas  Joseph J. 
Lynas  William John 
McAvoy  Lawrence 
McBride  John 
McCaw  Anthony 
McConnell  William 
McCullagh  James 
McGarry  Rev. James 
McGang  Wesley 
McGowan  Samuel 
Magee  Anthony 
Murphy  William J. 
Nelson  John & George 
Nelson  James 
Plunkett  John 
Robertson  Ellen 
Ruddell  Thomas 
Scandrett  Thomas 
Simpson  John 
Spence  Thomas 
Turner  James 
Turner  Samuel 
Waring  Lucas 
Wells  James 
Wilkinson  Robert 
Wilson  Mary Jane 




Montiaghs, a parish, in the barony of Oneilland East, Co. Armagh, containing 10 townlands and the village of Charlestown, 4¼ miles north-west of Lurgan, on the southern shore of Lough Neagh. The area comprises 6,308 acres; the population in 1891 was 3,342.

CHURCH OF IRELAND – Rev. T. B. Harpur.


  Private Residents 
Byrne Rev. James (C.C.) – Derrymacash 
Doyle  Rev. Joseph (C.C.) – Derrymacash 
Rowlett  James L. – Derryadd 
Knot  James – Grocer 
Abraham Henry 
Fforde  James 
Irwin  Wlliam 
Murray  Joseph 
Robb Seth 
Robinson  George 
Stevenson  Joseph 
Turkington  Nathaniel 
Turkington  William 




Seagoe, a parish in Co. Armagh, barony of Oneilland East, protestant and Catholic diocese of Dromore, bounded on the west by the river Bann, and adjacent to Portadown (in which a portion of the parish is included), containing 47 townlands. The church of St. Gobhan, built in 1814; rebuilt and enlarged in 1891, at a cost of £4,500. The rectory was built about 160 years ago, on a fine elevated site above the valley and reaches of the Bann. There are two catholic churches, also places of worship for Presbyterians and Wesleyan Methodists. There are nine schools in the parish. Carrick-Blacker Manor House, the residence of the Baroness Von Stieglitz (daughter of the late George Blacker esq.), built in 1692, of small red Dutch brick, with a balustrade on which are alternative urns and bosses, after the style of the period; it contains many interesting relics of the days of the Revolution of 1690. The area comprises 9,876 acres; the population in 1891 was 7,961.

CHURCH OF IRELAND – Seagoe, Very Rev. Abraham Dawson, M.A. ; Rev. Robert Quirk, D.D., Curate.

CATHOLIC – Rev. Edward McCartan, P.P. ; Rev. James Byrne, C.C. ; Rev. Joseph Doyle, C.C.

Seagoe – Margaret M. Kinnear, Mistress.
Silverwood (R.C.) – Jane O’Hare, Mistress.
Turmoyra – Elizabeth Jamieson, Mistress. 


  Private Residents 
Atkinson  Wolsey Richard – Eden Villa 
Collen  John (J.P.) – Killicomain House 
Collen  Joseph – Ashtonville 
Cuppage  Rev. Adam – Silverwood 
Cuppage  Misses – Silverwood 
Dawson  Very Rev. Abraham (M.A.), Dean of Dromore – Seagoe Glebe 
Gibson  Thomas Dunlop (R.M.) – Carne House 
Livingston  James – Silverwood 
McCartan  Rev. Edward (P.P.) 
Mackenzie  Archibald – Seagoe House 
Quirk  Rev. Robert (M.D.) 
Von Stieglitz  Baroness – Carrick-Blacker Manor House
Walker  John – Seagoe Villa 
Donnelly  Andrew, Coal Merchant – Lough Road, Turmoyra 
Holmes  John, Road Contractor – Killicomain 
Montgomery  Thomas, Cambric & Linen Handkerchief Manufacturer – Derryvore 
Watson  John, Road Contractor – Killicomain 
Abraham  Henry 
Beckett  William 
Blayney  Patrick 
Bullock  Ralph 
Calvert  George 
Calvert  William J. 
Collen  John 
Cummins  John 
Cummins  Moses 
Cuppage  Adam 
Drake  William 
Gilpin  Thomas 
Green  James, sen. 
Greene  William John 
Halliday  James 
Hayes  Hugh 
Holmes  John 
Hunter  William H. 
Kearns  James 
Lutton  John & Thomas 
Lutton  Tolerton 
Lutton  William James 
McCollum  Annie 
McConville  James 
McGeone  John 
McMurray  Joseph H. 
Macoun  Abraham 
Macoun  John 
Magennis  Robert 
Maginnis  James 
Martin  Henry 
Murtagh  Henry 
Nelson  George 
Parks  William J. 
Reid  Robert (reps. of) 
Richardson  Thomas W. 
Robinson  William 
Ruddell  David 
Ruddell  Eleanor 
Ruddell  Nelson 
Ruddell  Walter T. K. 
Spence  Lewis 
Taylor  Margaret 
Twynam  Charles 
Twynam  James 
Twynam  Leonard 
Twynam  William C. 
Uprichard  James H. 
Walker  Alfred 
Walker  Watson 
Watson  James 
White  Robert 




Shankill, a parish partly in Co. Armagh, barony of Oneilland East, and partly in Co. Down, barony of Lower Iveagh (Upper Half), Protestant and Catholic diocese of Dromore, containing 26 townlands and the town of Lurgan (which see). The parish church (Christ Church) is in Lurgan. The area comprises 6,292 acres; the population in 1891 was 14,058.


  Private Residents 
Clendinning  Henry – Aughnacloy House 
Kinkead  Thomas – Knocknashane 
O’Neill  William J. (C.S.) – Tanaghmore Lodge 
Bridget  John H. 
Coulter  Joseph, jun. 
Cummins  William 
Elliott  Annie 
Elliott  Thomas 
Ellis  Robert 
Fleming  William J. 
Greer  George (reps. of) 
Hewitt  Ralph 
Kerr  John 
Knox  George 
McCaw  Robert 
McCorry  Agnes 
McGeown  George Thomas 
McGeown  Thomas M. 
McKay  Arthur 
McKittrick  George M. 
Maconn  John 
McStravick  Henry 
Moore  W. H. D. 
Seaton  George 
Turtle  Thomas 
Waring Thomas




Waringstown, a town, head of a dispensary district in Lurgan union, in the parish of Donaghacloney, barony of Iveagh Lower (Upper Half), Co. Down, Protestant diocese of Dromore, is 17 miles from Belfast, 5 north from Banbridge and 2 south from Lurgan, and is the property of Colonel Thomas Waring M.P., D.L., J.P. The branch of the Waring family, which has been established here for more than two hundred years, was driven from England by the religious persecutions which prevailed in the reign of Queen Mary. William Waring, the first settler of the family in the locality, built the mansion house, a handsome old edifice, also the church, which he erected at his own expense and presented to the parish. The linen manufacture was first introduced into this part of the country by his son Samuel Waring, who, on his return from the Continent, brought with him several artisans from Holland, by whom this branch of industry was established. The church is a stone building, surmounted by a spire, and there is a church for Presbyterians. The village is neat and clean, and the adjacent country shows a degree of comfort which contrasts favourably with most other parts of Ireland. The area comprises 37 acres; the population in 1891 was 440.

POST & MONEY ORDER OFFICE & SAVINGS BANK – William John Harwood, Postmaster.
Letters through Lurgan; Delivery, 7 a.m. ; Dispatches, 11.30 a.m. & 5.55 & 7.10 p.m.
The nearest telegraph office is Lurgan, 2½ miles distant.

Dispensary Medical Officer & Registrar – William Price M.D.

Constabulary Station – Richardson A. Long, Sergeant.

CHURCH OF IRELAND – Rev. Edward Dupre Atkinson LL.B. ; Rev. Benjamin Finch White, Curate.

PRESBYTERIAN – Rev. John McIlrath.

(Male) Thomas Graham – Master.
(Female) Mary Harvey – Mistress.


  Private Residents 
Atkinson  Rev. Edward Dupre LL.B. – The Rectory 
Frier  William M.D. 
McCartan  William 
McIlrath  Rev. John (Presbyterian) 
McMurry  Thomas – Murry House 
Waring  Colonel Thomas M.P., J.P., D.L. 
White  Rev.  Benjamin Finch 
Atkinson  Abraham – Damask Manufacturer 
Atkinson  William – Grocer, Draper & Boot Dealer 
Beattie  Samuel J. – Baker 
Brown  Thomas B. – Grocer & Spirit Dealer 
Douglas  John – Blacksmith -Tullyhawn 
Frier  William (M.D.) – Surgeon & Registrar 
Henning  John – Damask Manufacturer – Cambray House 
Irwin  William – Grocer & Butcher 
Kennedy  James – Blacksmith 
Liddell & Co.        William – Damask & Linen Manufacturers, Bleachers, Dyers & Finishers; 42 & 44 Upper Queen Street, Belfast; T. A. “Banoge” 
McCollum  Archibald – Tailor 
Matthews  William – Grocer & Spirit Dealer 
Pennington S. – Linen Manufacturer – Aunaghanoon 

Top of the Page

Back to the top of the page

We make this information freely available to genealogists and Family Historians, but at no time may this information be used on a pay site or sold for profit.

The information on this website is free and will always be so. However, there are many documents and records that we would like to show here that are only available for sale. If you would like to make a donation to the Lurgan Ancestry project, however small (or large!), to enable us to acquire these records, it would be very much appreciated. We could cover our pages in Goggle Ads to raise money, but feel that this would detract from the information we are trying to provide.

You can also help us to raise money by purchasing some of our ebooks on our sister website:

The Lurgan Ancestry Project is a not for profit website, all monies raised from the site go back into it.


View our Sitemap Site Map

Home  |   Census |  Griffiths  | Directories  | Gravestones |  Photos  |  Links  | Forum |  History  | Contact Us