Portadown Business Directory 1901
From the Directory of Belfast and Ulster
Portadown is a prosperous market town in the County Armagh, twenty-five miles from Belfast, situated on the banks of the Bann. It is an important railway junction. The lines of the Great Northern Railway branch off from it to Dublin, Derry, and Armagh, and it is in direct railway communication with Belfast. The Newry Canal, which joins the Bann about a mile from the town, opens a water communication from Carlingford Lough, and the river itself being navigable all the way to Lough Neagh, affords a ready means for lighters and barges from Belfast and the towns adjoining the Lough. The ancient name of the town was Port-ne-Doon, or the Port of the Fortified Eminence. It has increased rapidly within the last half century, the population in 1816 being only 600, while it is now estimated at 10,000. The town is rapidly increasing, several new streets having been opened within the last year, and new houses are being built in every available situation. The town stands on a rising ground, and is well cleansed and lighted; the footpaths are flagged, the houses are of modern construction, and the chief streets are of imposing appearance. Two markets are held in the week - one on Wednesday for the sale of hay, straw, and other farm produce. In the season a very large quantity of grass seed is brought to this market, the buyers are numerous, and the highest market prices are realised. The market on Saturday is for the sale of all kinds of farm produce; the trade in pork is very large, and a horse and cattle fair is held on the third Saturday in every month. The manufacture of linen and cambric is extensively carried on. There are nine large weaving factories and a spinning mill, which gives employment to many people; one large flour mill, several hemstitching factories, a shirt factory, and two peat moss litter depots, one in the Town and the other at Derrylard.
The chief public buildings are the Bank of Ireland, a large and handsome structure, built of Newry granite, three storeys high; the Belfast Bank, and the Ulster Bank; Carleton Street School, erected in 1870, where Sabbath schools in connection with St. Mark's Church are held; the Orange Hall, opened in 1875; the Young Men's Institute, the Salvation Army Barracks, the Victoria Hall, and the Fever Hospital. In 1890 the Town Commissioners erected in Edward Street a handsome and commodious Town Hall at a cost of about £2,500. A new Post Office was erected in 1896 on a commanding site in Bridge Street. The Parish Church of Drumcree is situated about one mile from the town. In the town is Portadown Parish Church (St. Mark's), and about a half a mile distant is Seagoe Parish Church. The Wesleyan Church premises in Thomas Street are handsome buildings, containing a church, several school rooms, and class rooms. A new Wesleyan Church was opened in Edenderry in February, 1891. The Presbyterian Churches - two in number - are commodious and well appointed; the Roman Catholic Place of Worship in the Edenderry end of the town. The Working Men's Union Defence Club Association has reading and recreation rooms in the Orange Hall, Carleton Street. St. Patrick's Hall, a handsome building, containing a large Assembly Hall, and the Catholic Young Men's Reading and Recreation Rooms, is in Thomas Street, where a Masonic Hall has also been erected. A lease of land to the extent of twenty-three acres was some years ago obtained from his Grace the Duke of Manchester for a public park. It has been tastefully laid out in walks, and planted with evergreens and trees of various kinds, while a river flowing through the centre and a pond contribute much to its appearance. The park was taken over by the Town Commissioners on the 1st of November, 1894. A new road has been constructed alongside and partly through the park, which has proved a great convenience to the public. In 1872 a public library and reading room were established, which are open daily. There are over 2,000 volumes in the library, and the newsroom is well supplied with newspapers. Petty Sessions are held on the second and fourth Mondays in each month. The "Portadown News" is the local newspaper for the district.
Post Office, Bridge Street - Postmaster, T. Brogan
Branch Post Office, Church Street - Postmistress, Mrs. Quinn
Bank of Ireland, R. N. Griffin, agent;
Belfast Bank Limited, John McMeekin, manager;
Ulster Bank Limited, J. H. Chambers, manager
Dispensary - James L. Rowlett, M.D., medical officer
Masonic Hall, Thomas Street - J. Davis, caretaker
Orange Hall, Carleton Street - John Roe, caretaker
Temperance Hall, West Street - Jas. McIldoon, caretaker
Catholic Y.M. Institute, Thomas Street - T. Morrisey, caretaker
Working Men's Protestant Defence Association club rooms, Edenderry
Petty Sessions - John Walker, clerk; also distributor of fishing licenses and school attendance officer
Portadown Discount Company Limited - J. Boyle, manager
Portadown Loan Company - James Wightman, manager
Public Library - Wm. Hunter, librarian
Gas Light Company, Edenderry - J. C. Fulton, J.P., secretary; J. Nesbitt, manager
Town Surveyor - Wm. Wilson
Urban District Councillors - Charles Johnston, J.P., chairman; John G. Livingston, John Acheson, J.P.; Clement Courtney, John C. Fulton, J.P.; James McKell, William G. Hewitt, Henry Richardson, John Patton, John Davidson, Wm. M. Clow, D. F. Ball, Joseph Collen, W. J. Johnston, and James Greer, J.P. Robert McClatchey, town clerk.
The regular meeting of the Council is held in the Town Hall, Edward Street, on the first Monday of each month, at 12 o'clock noon
Constabulary Barracks - No. 1, Edward Street; No. 2, Obin Street. Thomas Cottingham, D.I.
PLACES OF WORSHIP
Church of Ireland
Drumcree - Rev. E. D. Crowe, M.A., rector; Rev. Fras. J. Halahan, curate.
Portadown - St. Mark's, Rev. E. W. Hobson, M.A., rector; Rev. J. W. Auchmuty, B.A., and Rev. E. Storey, curates.
Seagoe - Rev. A. Dawson, Dean of Dromore, rector; Rev. Robert Quirk, D.D., curate
Presbyterian Church (First) - Rev. W. J. Macaulay, B.A., licenser of marriages. Armagh Road - Rev. H. W. Perry, B.A.
Wesleyan Methodist Church - Rev. W. Y. Northridge, superintendent; Rev. J. W. Parkhill, Rev. B. S. Lyons, Rev. Foster Park, Derryall.
Primitive Methodist Church, Mary Street - Rev. John Taylor, superannuated; Mr. J. B. Cannell
Roman Catholic Chapel, Drumcree and Portadown - Very Rev. Canon Byrne, P.P.; Rev. B. O'Connor, C.C.; Rev. Felix Kerr, C.C.
Seagoe and Edenderry - Rev. Edward McCartan, P.P.; Rev. F. J. O'Hare, C.C.; Rev. Peter Fagan, C.C.
We make this information freely available to genealogists and Family Historians, but at no time may this information be used on a pay site or sold for profit.
The information on this website is free and will always be so. However, there are many documents and records that we would like to show here that are only available for sale. If you would like to make a donation to the Lurgan Ancestry project, however small (or large!), to enable us to acquire these records, it would be very much appreciated.