image
Portadown Business Directory 1888
From Bassett's Book of Co Armagh
Page 1

High Street Portadown

Portadown, a market town in County Armagh, twenty one miles S.W. by W. from Belfast, situated on the River Bann, over which is a stone bridge of five arches. The Newry Canal joins the river about a mile above the town, and the latter falls into Lough Neagh, at its Southern side, and, issuing at the opposite side, forms the boundary between the Counties of Antrim and Derry, and loses itself in the sea below Coleraine, thus forming, in connexion with the canal, a water communication between that place, and Newry, Belfast, Enniskillen &c. There is a station of the Ulster Railway here, which is joined by the Dublin and Belfast Junction line. The ancient name of the place was Port-ne-doon, signifying "the port of the fortified eminence." The town consists of a large, well built principal street, and several smaller ones branching from it in various directions.

In 1780 a general market was established by Mayor Obyns and George Woodhouse, Esq., and of late years the weekly sales of grain have greatly increased. The trade in other agricultural produce, and in pork and cattle, is also very large. The manufacturer of linen. lawn. cambric and sheeting is carried on extensively in the town and neighbourhood, and the weaving of cotton goods also affords employment to a considerable number of persons. There are two branch bank establishments, a spinning mill and two steam flour mills. Petty sessions are held every second Friday. The Parish church of Drumcree, situated about a mile from the town, is a handsome edifice, in the early English style, with a tower at the Eastern end.

A chapel of ease, with a square tower, stands in the town, as do also a Presbyterian church, and chapels respectively for Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists. The Wesleyans have recently built a new church, capable of holding 1,500 people, two manses for ministers, and school house, at a cost of over 5,000. The Roman Catholic chapel is situates near the parish church. The market, which is held on Saturday, is second to none in Ulster for the usual commodities, also on Easter Monday, Whit Monday, and November 13th. Population in 1851, 3,091. Since that time it has nearly doubled.

Trades Arranged Alphabetically

AUCTIONEERS
Chapman, Robert, William st
Cooper, Joseph, Woodhouse st
Fordyce, James, Thomas st
Locke, George A., Woodhouse st
Pentland, J. S., West st

BABY LINEN MANUFACTURERS
Brown, Mrs., Woodhouse st
Dickson, Mrs., Market st
Maconachie, Mrs. M., Bridge st
Sinnamon, Mrs. M., High st
Wortley, Thos., Woodhouse st

BAKERS
Anderson, Walter, Mandeville st
Courtney, Clement, West st
Grimason, S., Lurgan rd
MCKell, James, Market st
McShane, Patrick, Bridge st
Mitchell, Wm., High st
Redmond, William J., Church st
Stanley Brothers, High st
Wright, Robert, West st

BANKS

Bank of Ireland, High st., T. D. Atkinson, agent; A. S. Gore, sub-agent; J. J. Loughlin, cashier

Belfast Bank, High st., George Kinkead, mgr.; Edward Harpur, cashier; James Malseed, act

Ulster Bank, High st., Hugh Anderson, mgr.; D. T. Gillespie, cashier; Jas. Harper, acct.

BLACKSMITHS
See also Coachbuilders.
Gallagher, Charles, Railway st
Montgomery, James. Edgarstown
Mooney, Edward, Obins st

BOOTMAKERS
Donaghy, Patrick, High st
Hoy, Joseph, High st
Jeffers, John, Market st
Jenkinson, Wm. J., West st
McConville, John, Bridge st
Pentland, Edward, High d
Stanley, Wellington, High st
Tate, John, liigh st
Trimble, Mrs. S., West st

BUILDERS
Bright Brothers, Bridge st
Collen Brothers, Hanover st
Cullen, Robert, Hanover st
Lutton, Richard, Carlton st
Reid, Wm., Edward st
Whitten. Wm., William st
BUILDING AND INVESTMENT CO., LTD., THE PORTADOWN. Office, Hanover street, Wm. J. Paul, J.P. chairman; R. J. Grimeson, secretary

BUTTER EXPORTERS
Benson, John, Scotch st
Harvey, J. and J., Mahon cottage

CABINET MAKERS
Wallace, Hugh, Woodhouse st
Wright Joseph, Woodhouse st

CANAL BOAT OWNERS
Acheson, J. and J., Castle street
Bright Brothers, Bridge street
Caddell, Samuel, Francis street
McClatchey, Robert
Monaghan, Laurence, Castle st
Robb, Benj. and Hamilton, jun. (carrying Co.), Edenderry
Robb, Seth, Woodside
Shillington. T. A. & Son, Castle st

CARPENTERS
Allen William, West st
Bailey John, Edenderry
Bright Brothers (builders), Edenderry
Collen Bros. (builders & contractors), Hanover st
Cullen Robert (builder & plasterer), Church st
Dunbar Andrew (& cart builder), Obins street
Hyde James, Cornaleck
Lamb John, Bridge st
Logan James (& builder), Edgarstown
Lutton Richard, Carleton st
Rowney James, Edenderry
Wright Joseph (cabinet maker), Woodhouse st. & Edenderry

CHANDLERS
Richardson Brothers, High st

CHEMISTS & DRUGGISTS
Acheson John & Joseph, Market st
Peel Josiah, Market st
Richardson Brothers, 21 High st

CIVIL ENGINEER
Shillington, Henry, Bridge street

CLOG MAKERS
Donaghy, Patrick, High street
Scarborough, W. L.. Woodhouse st
Trimble, Mrs. S., West street

CLOTHIERS
Cooney, John, West street
Rafferty, F., Woodhouse street
Woods, John, Woodhouse street

COACH BUILDERS
Atkinson, Jolln, Mary st
Locke, Wm. I., Woodhouse st
McConnell, James, William st

COAL MERCHANTS

Bright Bros., Bridge street
Robb, Seth, Castle street
Shillington, T. A. & Son, Castle st

COAL MERCHANTS
Bright Bros., Bridge street
Robb, Seth, Castle street
Shillington, T. A. & Son, Castle st


Top of the Page

Back to the top of the page


We make this information freely available to genealogists and Family Historians, but at no time may this information be used on a pay site or sold for profit.

The information on this website is free and will always be so. However, there are many documents and records that we would like to show here that are only available for sale. If you would like to make a donation to the Lurgan Ancestry project, however small (or large!), to enable us to acquire these records, it would be very much appreciated.



View our Sitemap Site Map
image


image
Home  |   Census |  Griffiths  | Directories  | Gravestones |  Photos  |  Links  | Forum |  History  | Contact Us