image
Portadown Business Directory 1861
From the Directory of Belfast and Ulster
Page 1

Portadown, a market town in County Armagh, twenty one miles S.W. by W. from Belfast, situated on the River Bann, over which is a stone bridge of five arches. The Newry Canal joins the river about a mile above the town, and the latter falls into Lough Neagh, at its Southern side, and, issuing at the opposite side, forms the boundary between the Counties of Antrim and Derry, and loses itself in the sea below Coleraine, thus forming, in connexion with the canal, a water communication between that place, and Newry, Belfast, Enniskillen &c. There is a station of the Ulster Railway here, which is joined by the Dublin and Belfast Junction line. The ancient name of the place was Port-ne-doon, signifying "the port of the fortified eminence." The town consists of a large, well built principal street, and several smaller ones branching from it in various directions.

In 1780 a general market was established by Mayor Obyns and George Woodhouse, Esq., and of late years the weekly sales of grain have greatly increased. The trade in other agricultural produce, and in pork and cattle, is also very large. The manufacturer of linen. lawn. cambric and sheeting is carried on extensively in the town and neighbourhood, and the weaving of cotton goods also affords employment to a considerable number of persons. There are two branch bank establishments, a spinning mill and two steam flour mills. Petty sessions are held every second Friday. The Parish church of Drumcree, situated about a mile from the town, is a handsome edifice, in the early English style, with a tower at the Eastern end.

A chapel of ease, with a square tower, stands in the town, as do also a Presbyterian church, and chapels respectively for Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists. The Wesleyans have recently built a new church, capable of holding 1,500 people, two manses for ministers, and school house, at a cost of over 5,000. The Roman Catholic chapel is situates near the parish church. The market, which is held on Saturday, is second to none in Ulster for the usual commodities, also on Easter Monday, Whit Monday, and November 13th. Population in 1851, 3,091. Since that time it has nearly doubled.

GENTRY

Atkinson, Joseph, J.P., Crowhill, Loughgall.
Atkinson, Woolsey, Eden Villa.
Atkinson, Mrs., Thomas Street.
Blacker, Stewart, Carrick.
Carleton, Thomas.
De Salis, Count, Mullahead.
Druitt, Joseph, Corcrain.
Hutchinson, Mrs., Woodside.
Little, Mrs., Devon Lodge.
Miller, W. Moore, R.M., Loughgall.
Nicholson, Joseph, J.P., Cranagill.
Nicholson, Rawdon, J.P., Stranmore House.
Pepper, Richard, Ballyworkan House.
Pepper, George J., Ballyworkan House.
Reed, Wm., J.P., Thomas Street.
Shillington, John, High Street.
Shillington, Thomas A., J.P., Tavanagh House.
Shillington, Thomas, jun., Church Street.
Trotter, Wm., Drumcree Cottage.
Wakefield, Charles Frederick, Corcrain Villa.

CLERGY AND PROFESSIONAL

Alexander, Rev. Charles, rector of Drumcree.
Bredon, Alexander, M.D., High Street.
Carleton, Thomas, solicitor, Church Street.
Crolly, Rev. Eugene, P.P., Drumcree.
Elliott, Rev. L. D., Presbyterian minister, Manse, Edenderry.
Hunt, Rev. G., Drumgoon Cottage.
McLoughlin, P., surgeon, High Street.
Pepper, George J., attorney, High Street.
Robinson, Rev. James, Wesleyan Methodist minister.
Stanley, Henry, M.D., Church Street.
Woodhouse, John Obyns, solicitor, Mary Street.

INSTITUTIONS

Post Office - Richard Edgar, postmaster, Victoria Place.

Established Church, Seagoe - Ven. Archdeacon Saurin ; Rev. John Ouseley, curate.

Chapel of Ease - Rev. Augustus Fitzgerald, incumbent.

Presbyterian Church - Rev. L. D. Elliott, minister, licenser of marriages.

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel - Rev. John Duncan, minister.

Roman Catholic Chapel - Rev. E. (Eugene) Crolly, P.P.; Rev. ? Campbell, curate.

Dispensary - Alexander Bredon, M.R.C.S.E., medical officer.

Constabulary Station - C. R. A. Cameron, sub inspector.

Stamp Office - A. Shillington, sub distributor.

Petty Sessions - John Eccles, clerk.

Belfast Bank - G. Kinkead, manager.

Ulster Bank - Robert James, manager.

Newspaper - Portadown News ; published every Saturday by John H. Farrell.


We make this information freely available to genealogists and Family Historians, but at no time may this information be used on a pay site or sold for profit.

The information on this website is free and will always be so. However, there are many documents and records that we would like to show here that are only available for sale. If you would like to make a donation to the Lurgan Ancestry project, however small (or large!), to enable us to acquire these records, it would be very much appreciated.



View our Sitemap Site Map
image


image
Home  |   Census |  Griffiths  | Directories  | Gravestones |  Photos  |  Links  | Forum |  History  | Contact Us