•Monday to Sunday
•Summer Hours - 8.00am to 10.00pm from the 1st April to 30th September
•Winter Hours - 8.00am to Dusk from the 1st October to the 31st March
For any Cemetery enquiry, please contact the Cemetery Manager or Cemetery Superintendent at Kernan Cemetery Tel: 028 3833 9059.
In the later part of the nineteenth century the population of Lurgan was growing at an alarming rate owing to industrial developments in the Linen industry and the coming of the power loom. In 1861 the Town Commissioners realised that the old graveyard at Shankill which had laid to rest the dead of Lurgan since the early 1690's, would no longer be suitable as the town's main cemetery as it was running out of usable space. The combination of increasing Workhouse deaths and a rising workforce spurred them into action. They put forward to the Town council an urgent motion that a new site be found as a suitable depository for Lurgan's dead.
A 'Burial Board' was set up and put to work immediately. They decided upon a four acre peace of land that had been bequeathed by Lord Lurgan at an annual rate of £10, which ran close to the new 'Tandragee Rail Line'. The Lurgan 'Newline' Cemetery opened in 1863 and the Commissioners drew up regulations with a scale of charges ranging from two shillings and six pence to ten shillings. Corpses from the Union Workhouse were to be buried at two shillings and six pence providing the depth did not exceed seven feet. For interments over this depth, the additional cost was two shillings and six pence per foot.
This website is dedicated to the Sons and Daughters of Lurgan down through the ages.