St. Colman's Church, Kilwarlin Cemetary

Bottier Road

Waringstown Church of Ireland

St. Colman's Church, Kilwarlin, was erected in 1812. The church was extensively renovated in 1967. Some of the earlier headstones in the adjoining cemetery relate to families from the parish of Aghalee, which was part of the Dromore Diocese even though it is located deep in the territory of the Diocese of Down and Connor. The adjoining parochial house was newly erected in 1964.

Presently there are a total of 75 gravestones visible in the graveyard (36 are pre-1900 and 39 that are post-1900) though there are probably many more memorials that have been covered by earth. The earliest inscription recorded is that of Jane McLeavy, who died on the 11th August 1839, even though Cennick opened the graveyard in 1759. One stone is just visible at the corner with the majority buried beneath the earth. From the 75 visible gravestones there are 114 individuals names mentioned in the inscriptions. Unfortunately 5 inscriptions have now completely worn away; fortunately they were previously recorded.

View our Sitemap Site Map

Home  |   Census |  Griffiths  | Directories  | Gravestones |  Photos  |  Links  | Forum |  History  | Contact Us